Newcastle United and Italy star Sandro Tonali has been banned after an investigation into alleged illegal betting.
Despite the ongoing investigation, Tonali was given the go-ahead to feature for Newcastle as they beat Crystal Palace 4-0 on Saturday.
He then came on as a substitute in Newcastle’s 1-0 defeat to Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday but a day on, the decision on Tonali’s suspension was reported by Fabrizio Romano, who says he will be unavailable for selection for 10 months.
It means he will play no part in the rest of Newcastle’s season, while he will also miss the Euro 2024 tournament in Germany should Italy qualify.
At one point a maximum three-year suspension was touted as a potential punishment but the player’s legal team have been able to negotiate a plea bargain.
The 23-year-old signed for Newcastle in a £52 million switch from AC Milan and scored on his Premier League debut against Aston Villa.
He’s made 12 appearances in all competitions but will not be able to play again until August.
Tonali must also undergo eight months of participation in a gambling rehab plan.
Speaking last week, Tonali’s agent said: “I hope this gambling addiction issue will help to save Sandro’s life as well as many other young guys affected by the same problem.
“Sandro understood that he has to focus on this issue and face up to the gambling addiction with a strong, determined approach.”